Saturday, February 11, 2006

I CONFESS........I can find myself caught up in (what did my anthropology professor call it?) CONSPICUOUS CONSUMER CONSUMPTION............ as much as the next person. I am barely recovered from Christmas and Valentine’s Day is being shoved down my throat. Did you notice that the Valentine cards were out on the shelves before the Christmas cards were put away? So..... I’ve done what any normal, red-blooded American would do. I’ve purchased & put together Valentine gifts for my husband, my Mother & my adult daughter. Cards (including one from the cat & dog), a musical card (no...it’s not Wild Thing), CD’s, candy hearts, a book, a frilly little top from Target (50%off!), gift soap from Whole Foods (must be healthy), polished rocks with "LOVE"& "CREATE" carved in them, and oh yes, a Hallmark gorilla named Boom Boom (just $9.98 if you buy 3 cards) that lights up and makes the sound of a beating heart when you squeeze his hand. I really wanted Valentino Lion, but they were out of him. Well, I think you get the point. The question is.....DO I GET IT? This is really ridiculous and I know it. Why do I get sucked in?

Just what is Valentines Day anyway?

The date was initially marked by sending love poems and simple gifts such as flowers. There was often a social gathering or a maybe a dance . When did it get so completely out of hand?

Well, I have definitely decided to keep it simple from now on. I vow to not get caught up in all this consumer craziness anymore in regard to all holidays. I owe it to myself to lead a more simplistic and less frivolous lifestyle. I vow to concentrate on the true meaning of holidays from now on. My family will just have to understand that these childish celebrations have to be scaled way back.

So there......you’ve heard it from me. That’s it!
NO MORE SANTA CLAUS, EASTER BUNNY, etc.! Enough is enough.

I need to close now. When I was getting out the Valentine decorations, I set out the Easter baskets and all the Easter decorations so I could go through them and see what I needed to update. I noticed Target has a whole aisle of Easter out and I want to be sure and get what I need before they sell out.

There was this talking chocolate bunny.........................

No comments: